[OM] Re: D1x digital; E-1 and macro

Subject: [OM] Re: D1x digital; E-1 and macro
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 10:47:11 -0400
If the old disk that failed was the boot disk, you may still be able to
recover the files if you attach the failed disk as a 2nd drive. I have
often had disks go bad, but been able to pull some data off that way.
Heat is the number one killer of disk drives. You should have a fan
blowing directly on the disk drives.

I think the best backup strategy is raid duplication. it is real time and
you don't have to think about it. That said, I keep multiple copies on
two machines Plus two disks on one machine. I have had too much
trouble with burned CD's. DVD's may actually be more stable because
the media is in the middle between plastic, unlike a CD.

I backup not only in case of disk failure. But because most problems
occur through pilot error.

Wayne