[OM] Re: digital B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: digital B&W
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:50:12 -0800 (PST)
> Do you use anything like tha Wacom Graphire tablet?

Not yet, but it's on my short list of items to get.

> I agree that a true B&W print has a certain
> 'je ne sais
> quois', but even in this arena, digital is catching up
> quickly. I'm
> considering putting a B&W CIS on my 1270 since I can print
> color on the
> 7600.  Although, I have to say, the 1270 does a great job of
> B&W using,
> surprisingly, the color inks.

Likewise with the Canon S9000.  Suprisingly good. From normal
viewing distance, an enlargement is very good.  However, on
closer examination the dot placement and noise/grain conspire to
give you some wierd artifacts.  Here at my desk, I've got an
8x12 (full bleed) monochrome (sepia "toned") print from my new
5MP digicam that is as sharp, smooth, grainfree as anything I've
ever gotten with 35mm B&W.  Well, ok, not as good as PanF and my
100/2.8.  But very good.

> I would also argue about the 'perfect' image. I'd turn it
> around completely.
> With digital, you can customize each and every print, every
> time, if you are
> so inclined. If you do happen on a particular image that you
> like, you can
> easily duplicate it over and over, even months apart. In the
> darkroom,
> generating an exact duplicate is virtually impossible, even in
> the same
> session.

So true.  Temperature and chemistry stabalization are issues
always being battled.  But good equipment and notes help the
repeatability issues.  I've got a top-notch timer and analyzer
that give me incredible accuracy.  Unfortunately, the skillsets
take longer to develop and can't be bought or automated

> I still like film, but admit that I am doing almost
> exclusively digital.

Well, I'm running 3000:1 over the past four weeks.  But spring
is coming and I've got a lot of Velvia screaming to be used.

The fact is, I have a decent darkroom setup and the ability to
shoot, process and print 4x5 negs.  However, if I had to give up
the darkroom, I would happily go 100% digital and not look back.
 You adapt to the tools available.  But until then...

AG-Schnozz