[OM] Re: LIST-ADMIN: Problems -- now digital comments

Subject: [OM] Re: LIST-ADMIN: Problems -- now digital comments
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:37:26 -0800 (PST)
> >It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.
> >
> And isn't Schnozz 6'6" or so??

Close enough.

I've shot OVER 3000 pictures with my new digital already.
Friday, I had to go document a half-dozen central offices and
photographed rack after rack of equipment, cables, wiring
blocks, etc.  Due to various issues I was unable to use flash.
So, between ISO 400 and "Anti-Shake", I was able to handhold
every picture.  I used the live monitor (with grid pattern) on
the back for every shot--never used the viewfinder.

So, I got around 500 pictures on a single battery.  Oh, and
while the other guy was driving, I was editing in-camera.  Close
to five hours of continous operation.  By the time I got back to
the office, everything was in my laptop, organized and ready to
post on our network.  Oh, and the images--even using high ISO
and low JPEG quality settings far exceeded the requirements for
the job.

So, am I a digital convert?  Yup.  Not totally, though.  Art
stuff will remain in the domain of film.  In fact, I'm now
beginning the process of moving my darkroom to another location
in the basement.  A LARGER space!!!!  Prime real-estate.
Yeehaa!

B&W will remain in the domain of chemistry.  I just can't get
digital to look right.  It's the serendipidity thing.  There's
something organic to dodging and burning in the darkroom as
compared to computer.  What is neat, though, is learning new
techniques on the computer and transferring those skills to the
darkroom.  I'm now using split-grade printing and/or
paper-flashing for nearly everything now for enhanced S-Curve
adjustment.  It just took learning and testing in the computer
to see what happens.  Unfortunately, I ain't been in the
darkroom much, lately.