[OM] Re: digital B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: digital B&W
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:40:58 -0500
Ag,

Do you use anything like tha Wacom Graphire tablet? I admit I am still
learning to use it well, but it sure makes dodging and burning easier than
with the mouse. I agree that a true B&W print has a certain 'je ne sais
quois', but even in this arena, digital is catching up quickly. I'm
considering putting a B&W CIS on my 1270 since I can print color on the
7600.  Although, I have to say, the 1270 does a great job of B&W using,
surprisingly, the color inks.

I would also argue about the 'perfect' image. I'd turn it around completely.
With digital, you can customize each and every print, every time, if you are
so inclined. If you do happen on a particular image that you like, you can
easily duplicate it over and over, even months apart. In the darkroom,
generating an exact duplicate is virtually impossible, even in the same
session.

I still like film, but admit that I am doing almost exclusively digital.  I
took a shot in the moring and had a framed, matted and mounted poster by
lunch.  Doing that with film is difficult and outrageously expensive.

Tom
-----

mailto:olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx?subject="Olympus List Problem"