[OM] Re: digital B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: digital B&W
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:17:01 -0800 (PST)
--- Winsor wrote:

> This looks pretty good to me:

I didn't say that you can't do B&W in digital--far from it.
What I'm saying is that it's harder to get those tonal nuances
that happen as a matter of subtle dodging, burning and other
oddball darkroom techniques.

* Computer editing is superior for local enhancement.
* Computer editing is superior for entire image tonal balance.
* Darkroom editing is superior for regional tonal adjustment.

...and of course

* Darkroom printing produces archival prints on fiber-based
paper with surface-reflective nuances unique to the composition
of the geletin and developer.  Forte, for example, has a "glow"
to the surface enhanced further by certain developers.

* Darkroom printing allows creative interpretation of the image
each and every time.  No two prints need to be the same.  With
computer editing, we "perfect" the image once and live with the
results ever after.

Oh, and you've got to question the validity of the opinion when
the writer says: "Highlight detail suffers a little bit compared
to T-Max 400, but then again, nothing can really touch that
film."  T-Max 400, even the latest/greatest has some of the
worst highlight details of any film ever made.

My opinion, of course.

AG-Schnozz