[OM] night time conundrums

Subject: [OM] night time conundrums
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:07:56 +0100
I took several night shots on my last roll of film and a couple of them
have things on them that I can't explain. The first is flare related
and the second a strange apparition in the sky:

Pictures can be found at:
http://homepage.mac.com/royalljames/PhotoAlbum5.html

The first is of a newly completed Libeskind building (he who built the
Jewish museum in Berlin) for the London Metropolitan Uni in north
London. It was taken looking fairly near vertically upwards, and if I
remember correctly there was a streetlight not too far out of shot to
the right. Lens was my trusty 35-70.3.6. There is aperture shape flare
visible near the centre of the image, which I would think comes from
the moon. Could this just as easily come from the off picture street
light? Also, the bottom right hand corner lightens considerably. Now,
I've cropped away the right hand edge of the slide, but on the
original, moving from left to right, the blue lightens and then 'steps'
back down to a darker shade again, with quite a hard vertical line
between the light and dark shades. Could this be caused by the off
frame street light also? Basically I've learned my lesson that hoods
need to be used at night as well. It's probably even more important at
night when dealing with point light sources.

The second shot is a Roman Catholic church taken from my sitting room
window (which is, incidentally, in another church - there were as much
choice in faiths 150 years ago as we have tv channels now). When I
first got the film back, I thought the slide was scratched, but it
turns out to be a light trail. My question is, what caused it? First
thought is a plane as there are plenty above London, but why does the
brightness vary as it does and not in relation to the clouds? I've put
in a detail from the slide at actual pixel level before sharpening,
which does seem to back up the plane idea - steady light plus flashing
light on wing tip, but I can't figure out why it isn't steady, and also
the angle seems to be dangerously downward. Maybe the path of the light
straight into the nave of the church is a clue?

Thoughts anyone?

James