Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:41:49 -0500
At 11:44 AM 11/5/2003, BD wrote:
><snip>
>The E-1, on the other hand, seems to be built to take serious abuse as
>much as any competitive DSLR is built to take it. BTW, yesterday my new
>C5060 slipped off my shoulder, hit the kitchen floor, bounced down three
>wooden steps, and had it's card door pop open. I closed the door, turned
>it off and back on, and it functioned absolutely perfectly - without a
>single mark on it.

I dropped my C5050 on the pavement and all was fine, except for the
flimsy battery catch. Broke one small bit of plastic and now I have to
keep a quick release plate attached to keep the battery door closed.
I also keep a CLA-1 attached all the time to protect the lens (and to keep
stupid beeping off in case i forget to remove the lens cap).

I really wish I could believe Olympus made a great camera with the E-1.
With an OM-4t viewfinder, I can really preview what I will get before I press
the button, and I think makes a difference in my photography. I'm disappointed
by the reports I have read on the reduced viewfinder. The core technology, the
CCD, can be purchased by any camera company to make a camera. All
Olympus can really do is package the ergonomics in a better way than
another, but the basic guts will not be far from the competition. I guess you
can same the same about film cameras...

Wayne