Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:40:23 -0800
on 11/4/03 3:43 PM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 07:00  AM, Skip Williams wrote:
>
>> - Finder - This put me off a bit, but I'm sure it is something that
>> you could get used to.  The finder mag is so low that there is a lot
>> of black space around the frame.  I felt like I was looking down a
>> tube, rather than the open finders of the OM's and Leica M's that I
>> typically use.  I guess that if I wore glasses all the time, this
>> might be much better.  B.D. - Opinions?
>
> I think it is a trade off between magnification and brightness. Make it
> too big and it is going to look dim.
>
> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA

During my 2 minutes handling a E-1 I thought that the finder image looked
like a little square in a large black field... I think this is more common
in AF cameras and in newer designs than in the OM's. I'd prefer that this be
bigger, e.g. look like a six foot wide image six feet away rather than a
three foot wide image six feet away, which is what it reminded me of... like
looking through a small window from a dark room, with daylight outside. I'd
much prefer more of a 'picture window' view, then squeeze in the digital
data displays around the edges. But that doesn't seem to be how they design
cameras these days. At least its not an 'electronic viewfinder', all those
I've seen looked pixelated and I can't imagine trying to critically focus
with one (although the designers would probably say that's not a factor with
AF). From the same point of view, I much prefer the M-3 finder to the .58
M-6 that I looked through once. I guess that makes me old-fashioned...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...