Re: Telecentric requires larger lens backside? Re: [OM] Some info on the

Subject: Re: Telecentric requires larger lens backside? Re: [OM] Some info on the new E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:25:56 -0700
OK, picture a lens with a rear element diameter that is 1/2 of the sensor diagonal. The light reaching the far corner of the sensor will be far from perpendicular as a matter of simple geometry.

I didn't comment on Joe's statement that the rays must be perpendicular. What little I've read and looking at diagrams of CCD sensors lead me to believe that it's more like they require rays that hit them from considerablly narrower angles than are needed for film. The net result is much the same. Unlike film lenses where the rear elements can be rather small relative to the front elements, lenses for CCD sensors require proportionately larger rear elements for optimum performance.

How this theory fits in with use of standard lenses on the full frame sensor of the Can*n 1Ds I have no idea.

Moose

Jeff Keller wrote:

Having thought about this for awhile I still don't get it...