Re: [OM] Some info on the new E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Some info on the new E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:23:59 -0700
That's only part of it. Has anybody looked at the cute little animation and read the text about the FT-CCD sensor? <http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/feat_quality_ccd.asp>

"The key benefits of the FT-CCD include its high sensitivity - due to a larger pixel capture area - and a high Signal/Noise ratio - along with the ability to capture more electrons for a higher dynamic range from black to white. With these advantages, professional photographers using the E-1 will no longer hope for images with more exposure latitude, greater detail, and less noise than ever before, they will expect them."

Written in 'hypese', but if they deliver, a major step forward. I've spent way too much time poring over reviews on dpreview.com and come to the conclusion that number of pixels alone doesn't mean much in picture detail, let alone other image factors. Notice that this camera doesn't have a built-in flash? So it can't just turn on the flash when it runs out of sensor and lens speed? Notice the iso 1600 & 3200 special modes? If they deliver truly low noise 800 and usable 1600, it will be a camera that can do things we take for granted in our film cameras and that other DCs anywhere near its price can't do.

And how about DYNAMIC RANGE? Again, the little graph was made by hypemasters, but what if they deliver? The only perforamnce complaint I recall from C.H. about his 10D is last of dynamic range. How about no blown out highlights, how cool would that be?

So the chip is large enough to support a much greater pixel count, but instead, someone went for "more exposure latitude, greater detail, and less noise than ever before". If they don't deliver, oh well. If they do, this could be a really exciting image making machine.

Moose

Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snip>
Pixels: Haven't we learnt that pixel count isn't everything and noise vs.
ISO is now the real challenge - gimme cleaner pixels not more dirty ones. <snip>