Re: [OM] Some info on the new E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Some info on the new E-1
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:15:04 -0500
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:39:54PM +0200, Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Price: Look at the prices the Nikon and Canon digitals were announced at
> and how much they had dropped when they hit the street a few months later.

I sure hope so. $2800 for camera and normal lens is way too much, if the
comments about the 10D are on-target. (I didn't know they were going so
cheap.) I could justify $2000, with the 14-52 zoom, because that gives me
capabilities the E-10 doens't have (true wide angle lens (even if it's
another one), 12-frame buffer). $2800 is too much.

> And for sure we'll see cheaper 4/3 lenses from the 3rd parties (Sigma,
> Tamron, ...).  Remember until recently our good ol' 50/1.8 was still listed
> at 225GBP.

This, to me, is the big test. Olympus is making lots of noises about 4/3
being an open standard, but it's just so much hot air until other
manufacturers sign on.