Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??

Subject: Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:45:19 +0800
Actually, you are wrong there. Digital improves shooting in a whole new way.

How do you know if you "got the shot"? you don't until you develop the film. But with digital, my friend's got a digital SLR, he takes a pic of me, shows it to me, I tell him "too dim" he reshoots it. Again and again until both of us are happy. Instant gratification, and instant feedback and correction. I have seen my friend's pics improve by leaps and bounds because of digital and instant feedback.

The other part is quantity. He took like thousands of pics in a few weeks, something I can't afford to do because of film. 95% was junk, but he learned, and he is now surpassed me in number of shots taken simply because of digital. There are definite advantages.

Just like 135 won't replace 120 or large format, neither will digital replace any of them. It's simply a new medium.

I have a friend, stunning B&W photos, his colored ones suck badly. I have another friend, medium format shots from his Hassy, great composition, knows what to do with a square. His 35mm leaves a lot to be desired. There are people that are masters of certain formats, the digital one is just another.

Albert