Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??

Subject: Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:55:51 -0800

How does digital "...... promise ...... a new way of seeing." with emphasis
on "seeing"? This to me is like opining that word processors in and of
themselves improved one's literary and writing skills. The image is either
processed on film or digitally but I fail to see how the recording process
impacts upon the taking process.  The "seeing" is an intellectual and mental
process requiring inspiration, imagination, and creativity whereas the
recording medium is merely a convenience that accomodates the wish to
revisit the "seeing". If digital was going to improve my ability to  "see"
photographically I would be beating a fast track to the digital shop. I
think it will take a long time and lot of pursuasion to convince me that
digital might improve my "seeing" one iota.

jh

Digital does not look like film to me or to others as well. We film users choose our film because, usually, of the way it looks to us. If one does not care what kind of film one uses then I suppose one would not notice the look of digital. The promise not yet realized is medium format quality in a 35mm sized camera.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California