Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??

Subject: Re: [OM] Defecting to another camera brand??
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:03:18 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Winsor Crosby" <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 19 November, 2002 12:20 PM

> >What is there about digital other than speed of turnaround from clicking
the
> >shutter to getting a print into one's hands? In otherwords, digital
appeals
> >to the "want it now" mentality.
> >
> >I have not read a word about whether digital per se does anything to
improve
> >one's photographic skills in mastering composition and light . For
example,
> >would Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams have been able to enhance their
> >photographic output had digital had been available to them. Somehow, I
doubt
> >it.
> >
> >jh
>
> The main enhancement seems to be the promise of control and a new way
> of seeing.  It is a still developing technology though. There have
> been long threads on this list about the lousy processing available
> to people. Digital bypasses that.  Both the photographers you mention
> would have liked that.  Ansel Adams even wrote a book on Polaroid
> Photography which he considered an art form in its own right. He was
> fascinated by its creative potential, but it did nothing to "improve
> one's photographic skills in mastering composition and light."
> --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California

How does digital "...... promise ...... a new way of seeing." with emphasis
on "seeing"? This to me is like opining that word processors in and of
themselves improved one's literary and writing skills. The image is either
processed on film or digitally but I fail to see how the recording process
impacts upon the taking process.  The "seeing" is an intellectual and mental
process requiring inspiration, imagination, and creativity whereas the
recording medium is merely a convenience that accomodates the wish to
revisit the "seeing". If digital was going to improve my ability to  "see"
photographically I would be beating a fast track to the digital shop. I
think it will take a long time and lot of pursuasion to convince me that
digital might improve my "seeing" one iota.

jh