RE: [OM] OT Cars

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Cars
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:02:19 -0700
I think all paper pulp mills use about the same processes. The one in
Lewiston, Idaho is on the Clearwater River in the bottom of a 2000 foot deep
canyon. When originally built, the emissions smell was truly awful. It still
is bad but emissions controls have made the situation better. I think that
plant is being phased out. The facility and the steam plumes created some
interesting photo opportunities from the top of the canyon, especially at
sunset.

Loggers can have a bit of a patina about them. When I worked in the woods my
father and girlfriend drove in to pick up my friend and me. We had a slow
150 mile drive out of there and the two of us had gone straight to the
tavern instead of cleaning up after work. We smelled so bad the car windows
stayed open all the way home. That was over 40 years ago and I still get
razzed about it.  The best defense is to smell just like them, then you
don't notice the difference. I regret that I didn't have a small camera that
I could have carried with me when working at that job. The fascinating
people, equipment and wildlife could have provided some great photo ops. An
Olympus AX would have been perfect. I had a clunky Kodak Pony 135 but
managed to get a few decent kodachromes. That country was so beautiful then
but excessive timber harvest has made a mess of much of it. Logging can be
done without devastating the landscape if people would just think about the
future and not do everything to maximize profits in the present.

/jim