Re: [OM] Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanners
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:50:33 +0000
I cannot comment on the Minolta as I have no experience
with it, but I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED and have been
very happy with it. At 2900 PPI I have gotten brilliant
11"x17" prints. You can use Genuine Fractals that comes
with it for further enlargements. Color fidelity is very
good, thanks in part to the 3 LED light sources. Some
scans (especially Provia) tend to show up with a cyan
cast, but a touch of the blue curve in PS will
get rid of it. ICE is godsent, but never had much use
for GEM which takes forever, and is useful only with high
speed print film which I almost never use.
Raw scans are never sharp, which is the case with all
non-drum scanners. But again, USM in PS will take care of
that.
 Finally, does ED glass have any advantage compared to
the Minolta or any other ? I am not sure, for the reason
that I have never seen macro lenses advertised to be
having ED glass.  People have such high esteem for ED
glass regardless of their application, that Nikon's
inclusion in the scanner lens could be just for
promoting sales. I for one fell for it. But I am no
optical expert and I could very well be wrong.

Also,have you considered the Canon FS400US ? Though its
high on pixels its a little short on Dynamic range (3.4
vs Nikon's 3.6)
If you want to hear more good things about the Nikon,
CH Ling will be happy to tell you all about his
LS4000 :)

-Tim