[OM] ( OM ) What hopefully will turn out to be a fine lens

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) What hopefully will turn out to be a fine lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:33:57 +1300
Hi folks,

During the past week I have added a few more lens tests to my tests page
(which you will have bookmarked if you are  interested in these things) and in
the process came across an OM-fit lens with quite stunning performance. It's
one I've not heard of before, but a check revealed that it has been discussed
in this group about 3 years ago - long before my time here.

So after some soul-searching, and digging up hidden treasure-chests - and I
mortgaged the cat <g> and sent the eldest daughter out to work in an animal
factory ***, and searched for one to buy.

As chance would have it, that shop with the funny little name (and excellent
staff) in Atlanta had one marked "bargain". Well, "had" is now the operative
word. It is on its way to me. I think. Not directly though.

They wanted to send it to me using UPS, which would have cost $50+ USD
up-front, and more at this end, as people have noted previously. I have
enlisted the services of a very helpful and friendly Texan ( a known Zuikoholic
and OM  enthusiast) who agreed to intercept it and forward it to me by USPS
at a more reasonable cost I expect.

If any of you need help I can provide here in New Zealand, don't hesitate to
ask me.

Well, what is it?

Tokina AT-X 24 - 40mm f/2.8

Produced for only a short time as I understand it. Just look at the SQF data  -
 amazing. Perhaps the sharpest / best I have ever seen. An interesting zoom
range too. Comes right up to close of that of a standard lens. Pity "my" one
doesn't have a lens hood.

***  Only half kidding. Nienke my daughter is training to be a veterinary
nurse, and also works in a pet shop. Somebody brought in 3 leverets the
other day; they had shot the mother (hare) then noticed she was in suckling
condition, and soon located the nest with 4 babies. Cat got one. So earlier
this week I have been feeding 3 little balls of fur (they have teeth already
and
open eyes) every 2 hours with warmed goats milk, via an eyedropper. And
yes, I have some shots in the camera. They have gone to a new home. Fun
while it lasted. They grow to about three times the size of a wild European
rabbit - maybe 4 x, and have very long powerful legs. I used to trap them
when I was a kid, and rabbits and hares were a pest on the farm. Getting a
big hare in a trap was quite a challenge for a 10-year old to deal with. But
that was a couple of years ago now, and I see the other side more clearly.

Now the waiting begins ... ... ...

Cheers, Brian