RE: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?

Subject: RE: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:06:31 -0500
At 20:44 8/28/02, Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:
Okay, now it's my turn.  I just received a roll of C-41 (Fuji Reala 100)
back from the Adorama "ProLab" here in NYC.  Usually fine, but this roll
came back with a number (if not all) the pictures cropped.  I thought at
first it was my problem; I using a shift lens and I thought "maybe there's a
problem with the lens" or even "how could I cut off the tops of these
buildings".  Out comes the lightbox and the loupe and lo! the negatives are
fine.  The only reason I even bother with the prints is that they charge
more for develop & contact sheet than to get a set of prints!

I presume these are "machine print" proofs. It is not uncommon for a print machine operator to crank up the enlargement too far. Reason? It allows registration error of the negative strip to occur in the machine without showing frame edge in the print. You have to understand the mind set of some machine operators; if some is good, more is better, and maximum is best. It is normal to lose about 5 0mage area which means watching your frame edges and not getting anything important right at the edge. The single-digit OM viewfinders show very nearly the entire frame (IIRC it's ~ 97% ). BTW, I've had this happen to me with reprints made by 1-hr labs (for the better half's photo album) and have asked for reprints that show more of the frame when it does.

-- John