Re: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bad processing of film driving people to digital?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:41:46 -0500
Perhaps I am fortunate in not been having these problems. I send all 35mm transparency, with the exception of Scala 200X, to Qualex (a.k.a. Kodak Premium Processing) using the drop box at a local discount store. Yes, it takes 5-7 days, but I'v had very few problems considering the quantity of film I'm using (over a roll per week). The biggest issue was one instance of lost film and that one was bizarre; an entire bag of film was lost. On all other occasions, what was misplaced was eventually found.

Medium format 120/220? Another story and I quickly stopped sending it to Qualex. Everything else (35mm B/W and color negative, and all medium format) goes to a pro lab in Indianapolis, either by priority mail or via a friend of mine who owns and operates a local studio. Biggest problem I had with Qualex processing 35mm color negative was color balance. I may start using them again for B/W negative as color balance of that cannot be botched, but it takes them forever to process and print it.

-- John