RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:57:13 -0400
I did the comparison side-by-side (I did have 2 Om bodies and 14 or 15
lenses to choose from).

Sorry, but the OM system didn't win in the real world.  The C/V 75mm is a
little bit longer, but the 50mm, 35mm, 21mm, and 15mm are all smaller, and
pack better, as do the R2 bodies.  Camera body weight is too close to make a
difference, and the two finders I need (only one if you know what you're
doing) only weigh a few ounces each.

The "thickness with lens" figure you cite must be for some lens I don't
have, because (again) the mounted 75mm is the only one that comes close.
Flange to hood on the 21/35/50 lenses is only 32mm.  If you include your
OM's extra 15mm (for the mirror box?) you only have allowance for 17mm of
lens.  How many Zuiko lenses out there are 17mm long?

The 15mm C/V is much smaller than my Tokina 17mm, and much better.  The 21mm
is smaller than any 21mm SLR lens I've ever seen.  I've never had a 35mm
lens with the snap of the C/V 35mm f/2.5.  You might have been looking at
the measurements of the faster 35mm and 50mm lenses.  Remember that you
don't (or at least I don't) feel the same need for fast lenses with RF.  The
viewfinder is already bright.  I rarely shoot SLRs with the lens wide
open -- that old rule of thumb about the good stuff happening one f-stop
down.

I had the C/V system while I had the OM system.  I reluctantly got rid of
the OM system because it just couldn't do some very specific things.  I
would have kept both the C/V and OM systems if that need had not cropped up.
But I'm enjoying shooting the RF so much I certainly wasn't going to sell
that equipment off.

As for the F100 manual...I haven't had a need to read a camera manual in any
detail in about 25 or 30 years, until...I was taking that dang F100 book to
work to read at lunch.  Jeez.  :-0

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W