RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:50:00 -0400

Nice try, but I ended up with ninety (90) individual, tagged items, plus 5
non-Olympus items.  Three items went to my brother (blood is thicker than
listservers).  The rest:  Two boxes, 41 pounds (gross), FedEx (corporate
rate which makes Priority Overnight on the East Coast cheaper than UPS
Ground over-the-counter), and it is done with.  I could have pieced these
things out, but my loaded billing rate is between $75 and $85 per hour.
Sorting, checking inventory, packing, shipping, depositing checks, waiting
for checks to clear -- I might break even on a couple of the most expensive
items.  The items I'd most likely be left with would be the ones I could
never wholesale, so they'd end up in the dumpster.  The whole process could
drag on for a couple of months, and I've got three week-long trips in that
time frame, two to the UK.  Plus, 5 to 10 percent of the promises to buy
would turn out to be dead offers, even from members of the list.  Even if
the wholesaler "gives" me zero for some items (technically speaking), they
are back in the retail system and will be available to a wider range of
users.

To any of you with a few grand who wanted the entire lot -- I apologize.
But from initial e-mail estimate to a box with new equipment sitting in my
office takes about two weeks.  Case closed.

> Now we have to keep hearing how the OM system doesn't cut it in the "real"
> world, when it actually does. Much better, in fact, in the hands
> of someone who
> knows what their doing.

Larry...I know that all Larrys have challenges, but go back to the text.
The "real world" talks about dimensions and real world, physical
configuration.  I was comparing how camera bodies and lenses actually
measured out, and how they actually fit in an actual bag, by someone with
years of experience who really knows what they are doing, and has tested the
configurations in the field in the U.S. and abroad.  That information was
then weighed against the equipment requirements for the anticipated
shooting, and which took into account the impact of lost shots (I've never
been anywhere where I could have had enough equipment to shoot absolutely
every photograph that could or would be taken under every circumstance).

> Larry H.
>
> "Larry J. Clark" wrote:
>
> > I did the comparison side-by-side (I did have 2 Om bodies and 14 or 15
> > lenses to choose from).

<<Large SNIP which renders the following out of context>>