RE: [OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoos (Was: Lenshood #s for Tokina AT-X

Subject: RE: [OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoos (Was: Lenshood #s for Tokina AT-X 90mm & 28-85mm lenses?)
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:56:49 -0400
Jeez everyone.  Let's get this thing settled before Jochen ends up starting
his own lens hood factory just to make his own life sane.

The illustration he posted shows the front of a Tokina zoom lens that looks
just like my old one.  I currently own 5 (count 'em f-i-v-e) Tokina zoom
lenses (in Nikon mount - 20-35 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.6-2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 100-300
f/4, and 24-200 f/3.5-5.6).  Up to a couple of weeks ago I owned 4 Tokina
zooms in OM mount (24-40 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 100-300 f/4, and 150-500
f/5.6) -- plus the 17mm f/3.5.  Thats 10 Tokina lenses and 10 Tokina lens
shades (if you count the 150-500's built-in.

I have in front of me a printed Tokina (US) catalogue (probably 1997-98
vintage) and the PDF 2001 and 2002 catalogues.

Are we all listening and paying attention?

First of all, Paul is a bad boy for calling something a bayonet mount that
really wasn't.  Paul "came clean, but he still has to stay up late tonight
to clean and line up all of his OM screens for a white glove inspection
first thing in the morning.  The bugle blows at 0530.  ;-)

Now to the task at hand.  My current AF Nikon mount long Tokinas are later
than my 97/98 catalogue -- they have the wrinkle finish and the 80-200 is in
the later "Pro" series.  Both take the same MH774 SCREW-IN hood.  And guess
what?  You can reverse the hood over the front of the lens because the hood
has two male threads! I believe my 80-200 OM did the same thing.  A miracle,
no?  That answers Jim Brokaw's question.  (I did note that the AF 80-200
shows the MH774N hood in the two recent PDF catalogues.  I don't know what
the "N" means.)

In OM-mount, the 80-200 also took the MH774, while the 100-300 took the
slightly narrower MH772.  Both of these lenses had the red band around the
end as did all Tokina lenses with SD glass at one time.  In OM mount, my
long 80-200 and 100-300 lenses were the slightly shiny, smooth black finish.

The only clip-on Tokina hood I had was the one for the 24-40.  That fits
Paul's description, as far as attachment goes.  Note that it was a SH721.
SH series.  Everything we've talked about up to this point has been an MH
series hood.

Now let's move forward in time to the more recent Nikon mount Tokina AF
lenses.  Those three lenses all have a bayonet lug arrangement on the front.
Three lugs.  You line the petal hood up with an index mark, twist clockwise
(facing the camera) and the hood snaps into place. Those are all "BH" seried
hoods, which I bet stands for "Bayonet Hood".

The 17mm had a slip-on rubber petal hood.  You tighten the little screw,
which in turn tightens the little band inside, kinda like the hood for the
Zuiko 35-105 (which some people think is a Tokina anyway...Tokina did a lot
of OEM work years back).  This slip-on hood is the RH722.  Maybe the "RH"
stands for "rubber hood"... or maybe "RH" denotes the method of attachment.

So I/we have/had MH (screw-on metal), SH (clip-on metal), BH (bayonet
plastic), and RH (rubber slip-on) hoods.

Jochem:  I don't know if there is a clip-on hood for your lens (which is
like my old lens) but there certainly is a screw-on metal hood.  It is the
MH-774 or MH774.  It has a double 77mm thread.  It is about 52mm long, from
flange-to-flange.  It is 100mm in diameter, with straight sides.  The legend
"Tokina AT-X MH-774 077 JAPAN" may be stenciled on it, or not.  You may not
be able to find one in the semi-shiny black finish to match your older lens.
You may find it in a black crinkle finish.

A Tokina clip-on hood may exist, in metal or plastic, for the old series
80-200. (Count the set screws around the last section of the lens barrel.
If there are three set screws, it is a newer lens.)  Just because I don't
own one or haven't seen one only means that I don't own one or haven't seen
one.  No more...No less.

Now if this didn't end up being a complex solution for a simple problem, I'm
not a government consultant.  :-)

Larry

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W