[OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoos (Was: Lenshood #s for Tokina AT-X 90mm

Subject: [OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoos (Was: Lenshood #s for Tokina AT-X 90mm & 28-85mm lenses?)
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:25:51 -0400
The MH-774 is a screw-on metal lens hood...At least the one for my 80-200
(OM mount) was.  There were no bayonet lugs on the front of that lens.
Later AF 80-200s use the bayonet mount, but did the MF models ever get there
before they were discontinued?  (Early AF models were also screw-thread for
the shades and the MH-774 was at one time shared by both the AF 80-200 and
100-300.)

As for plastic vs. metal...Up to the point of physical failure, plastic
hoods are probably going to maintain their shape (fewer dings and dents),
not get scratched, or get loose paint on the inside.  In most cases I'd
prefer that the hood fail first...Failure of the hood probably means that a
lot of the energy will get absorbed by that hood failure.  If I get a really
strong metal hood it will certainly transfer a lot of the energy to the lens
body.  This is the argument for energy absorbing bumpers and crumple zones
on automobiles.