Re: [OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina 80-200 AT-X Lens Hoods
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:41:43 -0700
on 8/12/02 7:52 AM, Paul Farrar at farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> The groove around the front of the 80-200 AT-X is just a groove.  The MH774
>> is a threaded lens hood -- it threads to your front filter threads or to a
>> filter (if you have a filter mounted).
>>
>> If you don't see the actual bayonet lugs sticking out from the front of the
>> lens, it won't take a bayonet type mount.  (I have never seen an OM-mount MF
>> Tokina AT-X 80-200 with a bayonet hood mount, but that doesn't mean they
>> don't exist.)
>
> If it's the 80-200/2.8 we're talking about, I have one with a plastic
> bayonet hood. (Yes, Tokina AT-X, not Tamron.)
>
> Paul Farrar

Well, I'm looking for the hood for my Tokina 80-200/2.8 lens... and when I
called 'Tokina parts' the guy told me it was "MH-774" and the cost was
$60... well I thought that was pretty costly, so I didn't buy it. My lens
doesn't have any bayonet lugs, it does have a groove around the outside of
the lens end just in front of the red ring around the end. I suppose a lens
hood could clip into the groove (I've seen that for other Tokina lenses) or
it could thread into the filter threads... One picture I saw on the 'bay
showed the hood reversed over the end of the lens for storage. That too
could work with either a clip-on or thread-on hood. I suppose there could
even have been two versions... I still would be interested in one (any
version) for this lens, if someone can find one for a more reasonable price
than $60 ($20 or less would be nice).
--

Jim Brokaw