Re: [OM] What's up with Pricing?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's up with Pricing?
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:21:39 -0700
Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It isn't just the OM market, Tom.  'Round these parts, there
> are a lot of  nice toys up for sale, cheap.  Too many
> unemployed (me included), still.   This "economic recovery"
> just isn't happening here yet.  I'd guess it's  reflected
> throughout *Bay.
>
> Boeing just began negotiations with the machinists union
> today.  It's been  ugly, it's gonna stay ugly.  They'd be
> stupid to strike, but that's never  stopped 'em.  And in the
>  past couple years they've lost thousands of jobs  that were
>  supposed to be "secure".  9/11 really put a hurt on the
> economy  around the nation, but ESPECIALLY here.

Puget Sound is definitely seeing the down side of the
economic cycle these days -- on top of Boeing, there's the
bursting of the dot-com bubble, and a serious downturn in
telecommunications spending.  All of that plays into downturns in
other industries -- slower sales for cars, boats, cameras, etc.

I'm happy to be employed this year after being out of work for
half of last year, but the market for insurance and financial
services is slower than it could be, not as many expensive new
cars or fancy new homes to insure, more renters deciding they
can't afford even $15/month, not as much extra income to
invest for retirement or eduction, etc.  So no eBay bidding on OM
goodies for me at the moment. But at leat there's a budget for film and processing!

--
Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/