Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: "mike blayney" <mikeblayney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:50:38 +0000
How many people out there use neck straps and actually carry the camera
that way?

Many, many years ago when I first took up photgraphy a neighbour and professional photographer told me to use the neck strap as a brace when taking photos as follows: The strap should be round the neck with the right arm passed through the strap (assuming you're right handed) so that the camera naturally hangs under the right arm like a shoulder bag. The length of the strap should be adjusted so that when the camera is brought to the eye the strap is taught accross your back and the camera is pressed firmly against your face (actually it will probably be your thumbs against your face) - this locks the camera to your whole body rather than relying on the steadiness of the hands. You can get away with a longer strap if you're willing to take a loop or two around your thumb/fingers. Does anyone adopt this method?

Mike Blayney, Devon, UK.