[OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:03:21 -0600
 Just been explaining to my father how to work around the lack of clips for
the strap on his new camera, and it struck me that given he's got a digital
camera, he probably doesn't need a neck strap, it's small enough to be
pocket-sized so he could get away with a wrist strap.

 That's what I use on my digicam, and it works just fine. Then it struck me
that I never actually carry my OM on a neck strap either; it either lives in
a bag or in my hand. When it's in my hand, I'd like there to be a strap of
some sort to save it from falling, but I just tend to wrap the neck strap
around my wrist for security; the rest of the time, the neck strap just gets
in the way.

 How many people out there use neck straps and actually carry the camera
that way? For people that don't, do you find that a wrist strap would work
as well? I've got plenty of webbing and line around I could use to make
myself a wrist strap, so I'm tempted to try it, but I thought I'd check in
case I'm missing something vital here. [1]

 thanks,

 -- dan

[1] for instance, the instructions for the Rolleiflex I have say you should
use the neck strap to get stability; because the viewfinder there's on the
top of the camera, I can just pull the camera down away from me and still
see what's going on, but lose shake because things are in tension. This
doesn't apply to OMs, though (without some sort of wacky super-extendo
varimagni finder, at least)