Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:23:45 -0700
on 6/10/02 3:03 PM, Daniel J. Mitchell at DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> Just been explaining to my father how to work around the lack of clips for
> the strap on his new camera, and it struck me that given he's got a digital
> camera, he probably doesn't need a neck strap, it's small enough to be
> pocket-sized so he could get away with a wrist strap.
>
> That's what I use on my digicam, and it works just fine. Then it struck me
> that I never actually carry my OM on a neck strap either; it either lives in
> a bag or in my hand. When it's in my hand, I'd like there to be a strap of
> some sort to save it from falling, but I just tend to wrap the neck strap
> around my wrist for security; the rest of the time, the neck strap just gets
> in the way.
>
> How many people out there use neck straps and actually carry the camera
> that way? For people that don't, do you find that a wrist strap would work
> as well? I've got plenty of webbing and line around I could use to make
> myself a wrist strap, so I'm tempted to try it, but I thought I'd check in
> case I'm missing something vital here. [1]
>
> thanks,
>
> -- dan
>

> [1] for instance, the instructions for the Rolleiflex I have say you should
> use the neck strap to get stability; because the viewfinder there's on the
> top of the camera, I can just pull the camera down away from me and still
> see what's going on, but lose shake because things are in tension. This
> doesn't apply to OMs, though (without some sort of wacky super-extendo
> varimagni finder, at least)

I take the straps and hoops off all my cameras. I don't like the way they
scratch up the finish. My original OM's were used with a strap about 12"
long that I had made up at a leather shop, it would allow my hand to loop
through and grip the camera, and then sort of secure it across the back of
my wrist, for an easy one-hand hold... but I used swivel clips on both ends,
and those and the loops on the camera caused a lot of scuffed ('bright
spots') on the chrome of the cameras. If they were black I'm sure there
would be heavy brassing due to this, so on my newer OM's I don't use a strap
except that I have the Grip Strap 1 on a couple of the motordrives.

Canon made for the Demi series a very nice wrist strap that screwed into the
tripod mount, with a swivel on it. I've gotten a few with my Demi's but I
can't see using it to carry the camera as it would swing around a likely
bang into things. A neck strap allows the camera to swing forward, and bang
into things as you lean over... I've seen somewhere an elastic harness that
holds the camera against your chest but lets you easily pull it to eye
level, of course I can't recall the name of the product... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw