Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap

Subject: Re: [OM] Wrist strap -vs- neck strap
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 00:24:27 -0700
I certainly use the neckstraps sometimes, depends on the rig. The PC with 35-70/3.5-4.5 is quite comfortable with a light, slightly wide strap because the combo is nice and light. A 300/4.5, Tamron 80-200/2.8 and suchlike is pretty uncomfortable and swings around alarmingly on a neckstrap. Most of the neckstraps I use have 'straplets' on the camera that snap into the main strap with the plastic connecters arranged so the straplets can strap together without the main strap to make a short strap for keeping ahold of the camera. When using a bag, I usually just use the short form as something to grap and hold the camera by when using it.

There is harness used by birdwatchers for their binoculars that is kind of hard to describe. Both arms and the head go through it to put it on and it puts all the weight on the upper back/shoulders, producing no neck strain and fatigue at all. Mine that I bought at the Audobon Soc. office in Tucson is made of black 'parachute cord' tyhpe stuff, things like fishing swivels and a couple of other simple, standard hardware items. I've thought I would use it for a camera if I ever have a need to keep one around my neck for a long time. It also keeps the body close to the body so it doesn't swing around and bang into things.

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

How many people out there use neck straps and actually carry the camera
that way?