Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:37:43 -0700 (PDT)
There are several of us on the list that use the OM system
professionally.  We have "day jobs" other than photography, but
we do supplement our income with professional photography.

A professional--even us "weekend warrior" types must think
differently than the average photographic "consumer".  For
example, the next three nights I am photographing a big annual
event.  This will be my fourth year of doing this particular
shindig.  I just got back my OM-4 from being CLA'd and looked
forward to using it for this event.  Alas, it isn't to be.  Why?
 Because as a professional I determined that I needed to run a
test roll through the camera first.  Uh Oh.  Flying shutter
string problem still exists.

As a professional, it is imperitive that I not only test my
equipment, but know exactly what I am doing with it.  A fellow
listmember sent me a radio flash trigger.  (many, many thanks).
However, I won't use it this week--even though I really wanted
to use it.  Why?  I haven't had time to test it and to prove
reliability or practice with it.  Same thing with film.  This
same list-member almost had me convinced to change my film type
and speed ratings of the film I use.  I won't change UNTIL I've
had sufficient comparitive testing of not only the films but the
different ISO ratings of the films.  He made good arguments--of
which I am taking very seriously, but until I've proven to
myself that they are valid, I'll be using what I know and have
been happy with.

What does all this have to do with this thread?

Easy.  The Olympus line has been MD (manufacturer discontinued).
 Does this make the equipment instantly obsolete?  Yes and no.
For the non-professional, the answer is no.  For the
professional, the answer is a qualified yes.  It isn't optional
to have equipment that is reliability-wise questionable.  If you
cannot reasonably trust your equipment at all times, you
shouldn't be using that equipment.  PERIOD!  Professional
photography is a no-compromises situation.

Is an OM-4T obsolete?  Absolutely not--if the equipment is
reliable, trustworthy and presents no "faults" that you work
around.  My OM-4 is not usable--at the moment, because one
picture on my test roll had the shutter string show up.

What about "spares"?  Another hallmark of a professional system
is "instant replaceability".  Can I get a substitute body by the
next business day?  From dealer stock--no.  From fellow
list-members--yes.  I have arranged with a couple different
sources to be able to borrow replacement bodies, lenses and
flashes to be able to meet my obligations.  If it wasn't for
these connections, I wouldn't be able to honestly present myself
as a professional photographer.

Has digital "arrived" yet?  Nope, not yet.  It's arriving for
the professional, but there is a long ways to go.  Consider
film-camera development.  Look back 25 years ago when the OM
system was new.  Most 25 year old cameras at that time were
truely obsolete.  For how most professionals use their cameras
an OM-1 serves them as well (if not better) than the latest,
greatest wonderbrick.  I doubt very much that in five years you
will be able to get updated firmware/software for ANY
professional digital camera currently on the market.  How
"professional" is that?

I recommend that you go with what has a good support/services
network available to you.  The OM system still works for me--for
now.  But when in Rome, drive Fiats.  When in Japan, drive
Toyotas, when in Michigan, drive Chevrolets.  It doesn't make
much sense to try and use a system that could leave you hanging
without a safety net.

AG-Schnozz