Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: the whole kit - I am disconsolate ...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:14:36 -0700
Zuiks,

Working my butt off, and not having web
access for 3 months has meant that I have
only just discovered, just  now, the death of
the OM line. I am distraught, having been
an OM user exclusively for 10 years.

I would consider this:

People on the list are using OM1s, some since 1974 when it came out. That is 25+ years. If you really like the OM system there is no need to replace it. You could buy a new body that would do you until 2025. You can keep your current camera as a back up. Your lenses are not going to break and you can add to them very cheaply if you desire. What you have will be more reliable in the long run. Even though repair may not be as readily available it will not be needed as often. That may not be true either as camera makers have bought into the computer model of marketing many new models are built to be disposable after a few years, not to be repaired. And try to get service from Canon on an F1, a pro camera. Not available.

I doubt that anyone can recommend a new plastic camera with micromotors in the lenses that will be around in 10 years, much less 25, or that can be serviced then when it stops.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?