Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:09:09 +0100
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm sure Mike V. is right on the money with his advice, and would
> certainly use that as a guide. I don't know how well you've gotten to
> know the author, if at all, but if he is as honest as he seems to be,
> why not ask him what he's paying others to use their photos? he may or
> may not be _completely_ honest with you, but it may give you one other
> frame of reference to make a decision.
>
> George S.

Hmm, yes, honesty... I've had one experience of taking photographs for a
book: one of the lecturers here at UCL asked me to take some for a
textbook he was writing on environmental physics.  As I knew him we just
had a verbal agreement that he'd pay me for the work.  Unfortunately,
it's now two years later and despite frequent reminders he's yet to
cough up.  He's given me all sorts of delaying excuses, and clearly has
no intention of paying up.  Most of the photos were taken specifically
for the book so I didn't need them back, but I lent him one slide of a
volcano erupting which he wanted for the book, and he lost it.

So, I'd advise a tightly worded agreement in writing, and don't give
away your original photos unless you're absolutely certain you'll get
them back because they're unreplacable.  Obvious things, really, but
I've learnt my lessons the hard way on both scores.

Hope it all works out - they're great photos!  If you ever have a need
to buy an environmental physics text book, please don't buy anything by
Nigel Mason.

Roger