Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice sought - photos for publication
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:37:59 +0200
John,

John Hudson wrote:

I have recently been approached via email by a gentlemen in Germany who
has a publishing contract for a book which will tell "...the story of
all four Cunard Queens up to the new Queen Mary 2, which will debut next
year. My book will be published at the same time the liner goes on her
maiden voyage."

good thing he asked you, because according to german (and european at least) law you could ask twice or three times the appropriate fee (right word?) if he would publish your pictures without permission....There exists a list with detailed information about how much money you can ask. It depends on the printing size in the book, how many books are being printed etc.

As far as I know it's not *peanuts, and I guess a professional photographer from the list will be able to provide you with more info - or you could possibly find a canadian site about it (german site would be http://www.djv.de/schwerpunkte/freie/honorare.shtml).

Of course it's always your decision afterwards about how much you will actually ask; on the other hand - it's the editing company that will pay for the pictures (not the editor himself ;)) and earn money by selling the book - and you might want to consider not to spoil prices of freelance photographers...

just my 2 eurocents ;)

cheers
Doro