Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 23:27:32 -0800
The party line is that the best 50/1.8s are the ones that have the phrase 'made in Japan' on the front ring. But you know, according to Gary's tests, any 50/1.8 in the center, at f8, with no funny lighting should be very sharp. The 'MC' version you have is so close to the last version in Gary's tests that there shouldn't be any practical difference in performance. All your other results are more or less in line with Gary's results, but the 50/1.8 seems out of line. Maybe you've got a bad 'un. Hidden damage from some prior lifetime? Oly made millions of that version to sell with the OM-10, 20, etc. Maybe quality control slipped.

I've got eight 50/1.8s with serial #s from 149,xxx to 3,675,xxx (unless another is hiding somewhere), four 'F. ZUIKO's, two 'MC's and two 'miJ's, but I'm afraid I have no interest is testing them just now. Heck, I haven't even used most of them as most came to me as 'body caps' on OM bodies. I did buy the oldest one new with my pre MD OM-1 back at the dawn of OM time, but quit using it after the 35-70/3.6 that I bought later with my OM-2n was a better performer.

Moose

Johnny Johnson wrote:

Hi Folks,

Would someone mind telling me for the nth-teen time how to tell one of the gooduns in the 50mm f1.8? The reason I ask is that I recently completed some informal tests on several of my lenses. One thing I was looking for was to determine how much I was giving up if I chose to leave the 50mm at home and take a 35-75 zoom instead.