Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Old Zuikos sharper than new Canon Zooms?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:56:46 -0700
on 4/8/02 12:17 PM, Bruce Hamm at bhamm@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> The poor quality of standard kit form zooms is notorious. The solution is
> simple: don't use them. The Elan 7e is one of the best values for the money
> out there and Canon's Image Stabilized lenses are a big benefit to the
> photographer. I totally agree with your assessment of Zuiko lenses, but I
> stand by my original comment. If I had to start over again from scratch
> today, I'd get either a 7e or an EOS 3 and IS lenses.
>

> Bruce Hamm
> Ottawa, Canada
> bhamm@xxxxxxxx

I would probably go with the Canon EOS system for SLR's, but there are
really two tiers to this. There is a consumer-grade EOS system of bodies and
lenses, and another higher grade, pro-sumer or professional grade system.
The EOS Elan 7 is probably the lowest body in the 'pro' grade level, and
with a few exceptions the Canon L lenses are the pro level lenses. The
high-level Canon lenses are all very good, but their 'standard zoom' lenses
i.e. 28-80/3.5-5.6 are no better than the "Zuiko S" 35-70/3.5-4.8 from
Cosina...

When you add the cost of the good Canon stuff up, its not so far from the
cost of a Leica M system which would be my other choice... Not an SLR, which
is the first tradeoff, the size is much closer to the OM system, and the
lenses are uniformly too expensive and too good. I still want that, but it
would be for different things. I think a lot of Leica users are or were OM
users too, and still respect the OM system.

The Olympus OM system is all at the 'pro-sumer' level or above, and except
for a few Zuikos all the lenses are at that higher level too... I think
there are few alternatives available now which offer the quality of the OM
system without giving up size and weight, cost, or handling ease. I see how
huge the EOS bodies and lenses are and I feel much better about my OM's.
--

Jim Brokaw