Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:33:17 -0500
In <cd.150f6284.29d2a25d@xxxxxxx>, on 03/26/02 at 11:19 PM,
   ClassicVW@xxxxxxx said:

>Are you saying that most performers should sound the same in live
>concerts as  they do on their CDs? If so, that's utterly ridiculous.

When it comes to pop music -- of any sort -- all bets regarding
veridicality are off. There isn't a spark of "reality" or any attempt
to approach same in that arena, unless we're talking about capturing an
acoustic instrument in a real space.

When the limitations of the reproduction system "train" the listener,
he/she is often disappointed that the live concert doesn't sound "as
good" as it does at home on a recording. It's Mother Nature's way of
getting back at us, I suppose.