Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:46:16 -0800

I'm not sure I know what you're point of all this is. Sure I can tell the difference in "live" music and what's recorded, but both are being received by our ears from speakers of one kind or another, whether it's a live performance, or recorded; unless, of course, we're talking about all acoustic instruments, which, I believe, we're not. The "aura" of a live performance can be attributed, IMO to the spontaneity of the performance as well as the tiny differences our ears pick up in the music and vocals as compared to the CD or the song we hear every day on the radio. I too, heard The Turtles in concert, "only" about 8 or 9 years ago, and the sound was only so-so, but their performance had so much energy and comedy, and effort in it, that we got caught up in the "total" performance, and left the concert happy. We also forget that for some of these acts the live concert may happen 20 or 30 years after the songs were first recorded, no one is going to sound the same. Not many performers can faithfully re-create their studio tracks in a live performance, there's just too much effort going into recorded music, sometimes weeks or months of effort to get a single song recorded.

George S

I guess we've been talking past each other. No biggie. I enjoyed getting in some R&R rap, though. Maybe I'll put on some Dylan or Pink Floyd now and uselessly while away the rest of the evening.

Tris