Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:36:56 -0800

Are you saying that most performers should sound the same in live concerts as they do on their CDs? If so, that's utterly ridiculous.

George S.

tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Not exactly. If live music sounds bad or unauthentic compared to one's home
system then my impression would be the home system in debate isn't so hot
and/or he is tone deaf. That, an/or the owner's had it turned up so high
his hearing's now shot.

Tris

That's not what I said at all. It should be clear we speak to the "aura" of live music as opposed to that which we hear through speakers or earphones, whatever. Can't _you_ tell the difference? Isn't it more "alive" when you hear it live? If not then I'd have to assume you're hearing is shot or you're tone deaf. There _is_ a difference, this is _not_ one of those "everything's relative" deals some people seem to think they "learned" back in the sixties. Your sound system just like everyone else's produces lots of distortion, more than what you'd hear live and for the simple reason canned music is farther down the old transduction line. More transduction equates into more distortion, other things being equal.

Now whether or not you happen to believe canned music is "better" is another question. Sometimes it is at that For instance in the mid seventies I listened to The Turtles (remember those guys?) perform outdoors at Sawdust Daze in Oshkosh, Wisconsin in the middle of Menominee Park. They sounded terrible. That would be an instance where canned music to my ears was "better," where other things are _not_ equal and so on.

Tris