Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:56:55 -0800

In <cd.150f6284.29d2a25d@xxxxxxx>, on 03/26/02 at 11:19 PM,
   ClassicVW@xxxxxxx said:

>Are you saying that most performers should sound the same in live
>concerts as  they do on their CDs? If so, that's utterly ridiculous.

When it comes to pop music -- of any sort -- all bets regarding
veridicality are off. There isn't a spark of "reality" or any attempt
to approach same in that arena, unless we're talking about capturing an
acoustic instrument in a real space.

When the limitations of the reproduction system "train" the listener,
he/she is often disappointed that the live concert doesn't sound "as
good" as it does at home on a recording. It's Mother Nature's way of
getting back at us, I suppose.

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Yes and no. I could easily tick off any number of live R&R concerts I've attended where the music sounded _better_ than what I've listened to off vinyl or CD. Bob Dylan in Milwaukee back in 1978 comes to mind, Bruce Springsteen same period, Moody Blues in Chicago around 1973 or so, and there's a group that normally we'd expect not to sound as good live since so much of their music is of a "canned" nature. The list runs on easily. Yes in Chicago, The Doors in Milwaukee (after Jim Morrison died, I'd guess in 1975 or so, I can't recall, it was during Summerfest along the lake shore), Tom Petty at the Oakland Arena. None of these venues was especially well suited for critical musical listening, either--we're not talking jazz or classical concerts at Carnegie Hall here, yet they all sounded superb. Even Neil Young at the old Chicago Amphitheater (on that Rust Never Sleeps tour he did with Crazy Horse back in the mid seventies) sounded pretty good, at least as good as his records, and my brother and I were perched way up high in those old corner seats they had near the ceiling for Pete's sake.

I've seen other groups live that didn't do as well, of course. REO Speedwagon comes to mind, I've mentioned The Turtles, etc.

And that's just rock 'n roll. Give me any jazz artist live over his recordings, same same for classical music and about all country and folk artists I ever heard. Ever listened to John Stewart live, or for that matter the old Kingston Trio? I have. Great stuff, and don't tell me the CD's of these people are better. Not even close.

Tris