Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:55:27 EST
I'm not sure I know what you're point of all this is. Sure I can tell the
difference in "live" music and what's recorded, but both are being received
by our ears from speakers of one kind or another, whether it's a live
performance, or recorded; unless, of course, we're talking about all acoustic
instruments, which, I believe, we're not.
The "aura" of a live performance can be attributed, IMO to the spontaneity of
the performance as well as the tiny differences our ears pick up in the music
and vocals as compared to the CD or the song we hear every day on the radio.
I too, heard The Turtles in concert, "only" about 8 or 9 years ago, and the
sound was only so-so, but their performance had so much energy and comedy,
and effort in it, that we got caught up in the "total" performance, and left
the concert happy. We also forget that for some of these acts the live
concert may happen 20 or 30 years after the songs were first recorded, no one
is going to sound the same. Not many performers can faithfully re-create
their studio tracks in a live performance, there's just too much effort going
into recorded music, sometimes weeks or months of effort to get a single song
recorded.

George S.