Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:38:03 -0800

Sears is a great example. I gave up on craftsman tools years ago, because so
many of the broke. Yes they replaced the broken tools, sometimes willingly,
sometimes grudgingly, but that did not help me at 11:30 at midnight when I was
trying to get a car running. I think the classic example are the cheesy socket
sets you can buy at many department and automotive stores, cheap, poorly made
with a 'lifetime' warranty. A lifetime warranty is not going to help me when a
tripod, ballhead, or camera goes south 35 miles into the back country. Lifetime
warranties do not mean a product is better, lack of one does not mean it is
worse. They may allow the consumer some recourse if a product does not hold up,
but not always. Mark said it best, large companies often offer lifetime
warranties because they can afford to. I would add to that, not necessarily
because they make a product, though some do.

Jim Couch

Actually, your example is more of a good example than mine. I first bought Sears tools in the early 70's. It's all I could afford, and besides, I didn't know much about mechanics back then, didn't know the difference between their lines of tools and Snap-ons. I found out the easy way--a mechanic friend explained it to me and I took his advice, ditched my Craftsman tools and bought into the good stuff. Besides the consideration of failure rates, Snap-ons function better the begin with. These tools are a pleasure to use, a pleasure to hold in your hands, kind of like our OM's. Of course, even a Snap-on wrench can break, or a socket gear give way, whatever. It happens. Afterall, it isn't a guarantee from God but the company. The thing is, Snap-on doesn't make that guarantee solely as an "advertising ploy" but because the company has confidence in its product line--as do many professional mechanics around the country. Does the guarantee actually go to serve as good advertising? What do you suppose? But word of mouth is even more important to serious people, and Snap-on has earned a reputation for reliability over the years that can't be beat. One hand washes the other and like that.

The point should be simple to understand: buy wisely, if you should get burnt make a note, spread the good word when you can.

Tris