Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate Ballhead
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:05:36 -0800

On the topic of ballheads, I recently purchased "The Ultimate Ballhead"
from Acratech (www.acratech.net). This is the most functional and
strongest ballhead for it's weight. The person building it, Scott,
usually machines precision parts under contract. Being a hiker and
photographer as well, he designed this ballhead to reduce weight. Even
the arca swiss style clamp on the ballhead has excess metal machined
out. I like the fact that I can quickly switch from landscape to
portrait mode. Scott is also coming out with a Velbon Carmagne 630
tripod with a modified top plate. Tripod plus ballhead weigh less than 3
lbs. It's not the cheapest head, but I have not seen anything, weight
wise that even comes close. Now there is that room for that motordrive,
no wait, ... I mean another lens.

Wayne

I like what I see except for the 2-year guarantee. If that head's built as well as implied it ought to last for life. Two years goes by in a flash and I wouldn't be eager to replace my ballhead because it was "tired."

Tris