Re: [OM] winders ??

Subject: Re: [OM] winders ??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:56:58 +0000
At 02:32 2/10/02, Wayne Culberson wrote:
What's with this winder/MD talk, using one to make the camera heavier?
more mass to offset mirror shake?? for a bigger hand grip (like the
wonderbricks?)??? I thought we all liked OM's because they were so small
and light. And using one for a MD cap?? This is pure zuikoholism, beyond
all soberness. Use the Red Green solution.
[snip]

I've been wondering about this too, and have been surprised by the number of responses indicating the winder or MD is always attached in lieu of a MD cap. A body and lens with a Winder 2 containing 4 "AA" cells plus a BG2 with T-32 containing 4 more "AA" cells and 4 "C" cells (or the MZ40 on a G16), it greatly increases camera weight. Enough so the wrist strap is highly a valued item on the BG2 (or G16). The potato masher and flash head add significantly to the weight, but the winder alone is not exactly light either. Every time I do this it reminds me how glad I am I don't use a Nik*n F, F2 or F3 (or one of the upper end Wunderbricks).

-- John