Re: [OM] international payments - was PayPal Interest Charges

Subject: Re: [OM] international payments - was PayPal Interest Charges
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 18:21:06 -0800
on 2/9/02 7:16 AM, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx at ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> For the non- US members, here's how it works. We go to our local PO, pay the
> amount of the M.O. and fees (which are high) and we fill out an 'application'.
> We then actually have to mail this application (another fee for postage) to a
> mysterious central US facility (in St Louis, Missouri) and then no one knowws
> what goes on from there, but we're told it gets issued and sent out from
> there.. Shrouded in as much secrecy as Olympus' Wyoming facility.
> I'm curious if any U.S. listees have had problems with Int'l MOs?

I guess I'm lucky because the only International USPS money orders I've used
have been for Canada... they are much similar to the domestic money orders,
but about 3-1/2 times as expensive... When I paid Olympus Japan for the
24-shift repairs, I had to get an 'International Bank Draft" payable in
Japanese Yen... the fee for this was $15, although it was issued from my
checking account and the fee folded into the withdrawl. Beyond that, the
exchange rate that Wells Fargo used wasn't quite as favorable to me as if
I'd been a big-time currency speculator... Working at a former job, we used
"non-revocable letters of credit" for some transactions... this was a major
paperwork hassle, however it protects the buyer as well as the seller, since
the payoff isn't made until the goods are actually shipped and proof is
provided. Beyond that, you can arrange for third-party inspection and
quality verification before shipment and release of payment. The fee for all
this was ~$200 per transaction, independent of the transaction amount (that
did include the currency exchange fee, though).
--

Jim Brokaw