Re: [OM] PayPal Interest Charges

Subject: Re: [OM] PayPal Interest Charges
From: Steve Sharpe <sbsharpe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:49:42 -0500
At 9:05 AM -0700 2/9/02, Garth Wood wrote:
At 10:16 AM 09/02/2002 -0500, George S. wrote:

[snip]

For the non- US members, here's how it works. We go to our local PO, pay the amount of the M.O. and fees (which are high) and we fill out an 'application'. We then actually have to mail this application (another fee for postage) to a mysterious central US facility (in St Louis, Missouri) and then no one knowws what goes on from there, but we're told it gets issued and sent out from there.. Shrouded in as much secrecy as Olympus' Wyoming facility.

What a Byzantine system. In Canada, you ask for either a Canadian or International money order, what currency it's denominated in, and the Canada Post person behind the counter whips one up for you on the spot. You pays your money, you takes your M.O. ;-)

Similar situation in banks. I've been able to get immediate M.O.'s or bank drafts in over a dozen major world currencies without a problem, and immediately. Imagine my surprise when, during one evilBay transaction, a guy in San Jose who was buying stuff from me told me he was "unable" to get a M.O. or other negotiable instrument in Canadian dollars. Now *that* wasn't something I expected to hear from a beneficiary of what is possibly the world's most sophisticated financial system...

ROFL!!

I'm a Canadian who moved to the USA in 1993. Imagine my surprise the first time I walked into a US bank and saw the tellers calculating deposits, withdrawals and balances with adding machines! Everything had been computerized in Canada since the late '70s. The Canadian banking system is far more advanced than the American one.

I can also attest to the difficulty of getting money orders in foreign currencies here. I needed to send payments to my Canadian Visa account in Canadian funds from here, and only one bank at one branch in the area was capable of generating a Canadian funds money order. After a few years that was no longer necessary, as TD Visa began accepting payments in US funds anyway...and gave a better exchange rate than I could get here as well.

My current employer, one of the largest credit card issuers in America, will only accept payments in US funds. If you send a cheque, it had better be drawn on a US bank as well.

Regarding Paypal, I know that my employer sent out a change in terms last year to its cardholders advising that such transactions are considered "quasicash" or "cash equivilents", and are subject to a 3% transaction fee. They have not yet started charging this fee, but the mechanism is there.

OTOH, you can dispute Paypal charges through your credit card issuer just like you can any merchant charge. That should provide a measure of reassurance.
--
Steve
sbsharpe@xxxxxxx