Re: [OM] Incident/reflected meter readings

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident/reflected meter readings
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:15:11 -0800
Tom Trottier wrote:

That is where I would disagree. Would you expose the same for a very black face as you would for a Noh actor in whiteface?

Yes, in most cases. I would want the brightness of the surroundings to reflect the original lighting and the brightness relationship of the face to it's surroundings to be natural. Even in super close-up, the dark face should be darker than the white face. I know you know that and wouldn't make them both 18 0ray!

It depends on where you want detail. If it's everywhere, incident will replicate the visual conditions as much as possible. But for particular subjects, you may wish to make sure you capture the detail in the bright or dark portions.

That's one reason I've switched to negative film since I got a film scanner. The greater exposure latitude means I capture both bright and shadow detail and don't have to deal with latitude limitations until creating the print. The other reason is that nobody I know ever looks at slides anymore. The visual (and tactile, when available) experience of large prints seems to engage people in a very different way than viewing a projected image in a dark room where someone else controls the viewing experience.

Moose