Re: [OM] Incident/reflected meter readings

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident/reflected meter readings
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:06:25 +0000
Incident is good for slide, or for any exposure-critical photo - or should be. The interesting thing about wading through Roger Hicks' book "Perfect Exposure" is that it leads you to think about which part of the photo you are trying to sort out the exposure to - in much the same way as the Zone System gets you to place your midtone. Now, this might be obvious to everyone else reading this (someone is I hope ;-)), but it is all part of my enjoyment of the hobby of photography. Visualising your shot as you say Tom...

So, my understanding from the book so far (and I have got halfway through this chapter) is that you cannot assume that your incident reading is necessarily the "correct" one. The acceptance angle of your incident meter is pretty important (invercones have a wider angle than flat diffusers), as is of course the direction in which you point the thing.

I have just taken some flash photos of carrier bags for my son's IT project (website on carrier bags... don't ask ;-)) and I used incident flash metering for the first time (OM2SP and T32 on half or full manual and a Sekonic L308BII). The results are just what I wanted and, although I used Fuji Superia 400 which has a pretty good latitude, the exposure has worked on every single shot. This is with a reflective subject with black background.

Chris