Re: [OM] alcohol; retro cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] alcohol; retro cameras
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:16:32 -0600
At 07:40 AM 1/31/2002 +0000, Roger you wrote:
Interesting!  Had no idea about the kohl connection.

Thought folk might be interested to know where the word dollar comes from,
seeing as all the Americans and Antipodeans have so many of them tied up in
their gear.  In the 16th century, particularly fin silver was mined in the
valley of Saint Joachim, or Sankt Joachimsthal, in the present day Czech
Republic.  Coins minted there were known as Sankt Joachimsthalers.
Shortened to 'Thaler' and exported through Low German and Dutch to English,
this became the word 'dollar'.  So basically dollar means 'of the valley'.

Thanks Roger. I only remember about 2 or 3 things from reading Immanuel Kant, and one is the rejection of the Ontological Proof (of God's existence) in which he said something like "If I have a thought that there might be a thaler in my pocket, it doesn't mean I am going to find one there." Kant's one and only joke, as far as I know.

I'm a diehard dinosaur on the focussing front.  I've seen these cameras that
know where you're looking and focus appropriately, but apart from finding
that really quite unnerving and vaguely threatening, I just prefer to do the
job myself.  No coincidence, I suppose, that my favourite photographic
subject is landscapes, which generally don't move anywhere fast.

It's the light that moves fast ...  :(

Joel W.