RE: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: RE: [OM] Slide projector
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 18:06:38 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> 1.  Is the P2 the version I would use on a late 60's era Pradovit
> Color 250 projector?

I don't think so, but I'm not 100ertain.  The P an P2 lenses are physically
identical, with the exception that the P2 lens has the optics further back
in the barrel.  The diameter of the barrel on the P/P2 lenses is 42mm, but
my 60's era Pradovit uses a lens which has a 45mm barrel.  I guess if your
projector uses a 42mm barrel, then a P2 should work.

> 2.  I know in the past that Leica worked hard to keep the film gate
> cooler than other projector designs. Is that the reason(less
> pronounced "pop") along with maybe better depth of field that Leica
> does not care about a curved field lens?

I've definitely noticed less "pop" with the P2002 than other projectors.
It's amazing how much air flow this projector produces.  Of course it
was designed for professional continuous projection so I guess that's to
be expected.

>                                               I know Gary R. indicated
> before that the Super Colorplan was a curved field lens, but you
> disagree.  It was not clear to me on the Leica web site.

It seems like a flat field lens to me.  It also makes sense that it is since
this is Leica's top of the line lens which is designed for glass mounted
slides.  There's not much curvature in a glass slide :-)
                                -mark