RE: [OM] Slide projector

Subject: RE: [OM] Slide projector
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:21:04 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Olaf Greve wrote:

> > He also mentioned the later Leica Super Colourplan seems much better, it
> is something that we can reach, I think you should try one.
>
> Well, when I was about to make the upgrade to the Leica Colorplan lens, I
> read up a little bit on it. On one page I found some lenses that were
> graded, on a 1-10 scale, I believe the regular Colorplan received a 9.5 and
> the Super Colorplan a 9.8.

A while back I borrowed Gary's test slide to do some testing of my Leica P2002
with a 90mm Super Colorplan.  My results showed that the centre resolution is
90.2 lp/mm and the corner resolution is 73.8 lp/mm.  These results were the
same as what Gary achieved with his Kodak lens.  As a comparision, I pulled
out an old 1960's Leitz Pradovit projector with a vintage 90mm Colorplan lens.
It produced 90.2 lp/mm at the centre but only 57.4 lp/mm at the corners.

>                               I believe Erwin mentioned something about the
> Super Colorplan only being for a specific type of projector, but I'm not
> certain about that, and may be mistaken.

The Super Colorplan came in both a P and P2 version.  The P version is useable
only on the P2002 projector, but the P2 version is useable on all projectors.
The Super Colorplan is also only available in a flat field version.

> Either way, I thought that quality-wise there was not much between the
> regular Colorplan and the Super Colorplan, but price-wise I believe the
> latter is quite a bit more expensive.

You're probably right, it doesn't justify the price difference, but wow does
it ever produce nice results.  You should also keep in mind that the lighting
system in the projector is just as important.  Comparing the two lenses on a
low end projector may show no difference, but make the same comparision on
the top of the line and you may start to see differences.
                                        -mark